Turn off Push in the sim?

For the sim or the website
BilliAnn Bravin

Turn off Push in the sim?

Post by BilliAnn Bravin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:12 am

I was wondering if we could have Push turned off in the sim. A lot of effects--especially for superpowers--have a push element, but it's not always evident if you've not actually used them on another avatar before. That makes me reluctant to use some of my character's effects if I don't know whether they'll end up pushing someone around, which I really don't want to do. Sure, I could IM someone and ask if they mind, but if I don't know exactly what it's going to do, I hate still to hit them with something. Plus it kind of breaks up the action to have to do that.

Since we're a RP sim and not a combat sim, I'm just wondering if there's any valid reason to have Push turned on? Most sims I hang out in have it turned off. (So it's not easy for me to test my effects on someone even if I have anyone willing to volunteer to do that.) And if it turns out that one does have a push to it, I'd feel constrained not to use it, and that could lessen the visual effect of some battles. (Especially if anyone's taking pictures to post.)

Anyway, just wondering if this would be possible. If there's a reason for it to be left on, knowing that would be helpful. Thanks! :)
When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!

Montyjack

Re: Turn off Push in the sim?

Post by Montyjack » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:14 am

I'm gonna sit on the fence on this one as I don't mind either way. The admin girls of dynamicus can decide. Sorry :-)
"I can remember, standing by the wall. The guns, shot above our heads, and we kissed, as though nothing could fall. And the shame was on the other side. Oh we can beat them forever and ever. Then we could be heroes just for one day."

BilliAnn Bravin

Post by BilliAnn Bravin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:33 am

NP. :) Just wanting to be able to cut loose with my lightning barrage without accidentally knocking anyone half way across the sim unexpectedly. :) (And to use some of the effects I know have a push to them . . .)
When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!

BluePhalkon
Site Admin

Post by BluePhalkon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:53 am

I don't think there's a reason to have it on, but you'll have to bring it up with Chyleste. I have some push effects as well, although they seem relatively minor. I'm always willing to help volunteer to let someone test their HUD on me if necessary.

Diannah DeCuir

Post by Diannah DeCuir » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:04 am

I know with a lot of special FX in SL, if you turn off the push, the effect doesn't work at all (no visuals).

BilliAnn, one thing I do to avoid pushing someone with an effect like yours, I'd suggest aiming to miss. That usually allows an effect to be seen without pushing someone, unless the effect is explosive. And like Blue said, if you need a volunteer to test something, give me a holler.
"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there."--Yogi Berra

BilliAnn Bravin

Post by BilliAnn Bravin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:05 am

K. I thought about aiming away from a player, but the one is kind of a spread out effect and I didn't want to still catch someone in it if it affected a wider area. I'll give folks a holler when I'm there and one of you is around to try to get those checked. Thanks. :)

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:13 am

I have kept push on for a couple reasons. First,as Diannah said some effects require it to even show. The second is so we can move afk avatars out of the way.

BilliAnn Bravin

Post by BilliAnn Bravin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:54 pm

Ah okay. Oh well . . . I'll try to miss folks then if I use the lightning or other attacks (though one version I think works only if you aim at a specific target, not just at the ground, etc. . . . but I'll figure out something . . .).

Diannah DeCuir

Post by Diannah DeCuir » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:05 pm

It's ok. You have my permission to push me into next week. Just don't leave me on Monday!
"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there."--Yogi Berra