More Accurate Group Tags!

For the sim or the website
Marie Dominica

More Accurate Group Tags!

Post by Marie Dominica » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:29 pm

Having everyone simply walking around with Celestial Metahuman makes it really hard for people to know who is playing what if they arent using titlers to tell such.

It can also be hard for a lot of people to IM new players they dont know to ask what sort of character they are playing. I know I have my shy days when im just not able to do it myself.

I think it would make things a lot easier for people to meet and start RP if we had more informative tags. Like "Celestial Superhero", "Celestial Supervillain", for the good and bad, and leave Metahuman for the neutrals. As an example.

This way I can just look at a player and see what they are playing right away. It would be a lot more practical for all im sure.
-
“The wonder is, not that the field of stars is so vast, but that man has measured it.” -Anatole France
-
-

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Re: More Accurate Group Tags!

Post by Mr. Strong » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:48 pm

Not a bad idea. I'll see what I can do when I'm on tonight, if someone else doesn't get to it first.

Lady_Grey

Post by Lady_Grey » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:08 am

The point could be made that making the effort to research each of the characters of the various players would be a demonstration of ones dedication to the sim and the back story. Making things easier for everyone, ie leveling the playing field, is in reality a politically correct way of punishing one who makes a legitimate effort to excel.

Angelina Sinclair

Post by Angelina Sinclair » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:26 am

Lady_Grey wrote:The point could be made that making the effort to research each of the characters of the various players would be a demonstration of ones dedication to the sim and the back story. Making things easier for everyone, ie leveling the playing field, is in reality a politically correct way of punishing one who makes a legitimate effort to excel.
While that is true people do have real lives and they don't want to waste time researching characters who are anti-heroes, or heroes when they perfer to use their time hunting down a villain.

Talista Glas

Post by Talista Glas » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:02 am

While this sounds good, it implies that your title is public knowledge. Are we saying that if someone is wearing a hero tag that everyone knows they're a hero type?
Gimme the sauce, Morty, I need the sauce.

Angelina Sinclair

Post by Angelina Sinclair » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:10 pm

Talista Glas wrote:While this sounds good, it implies that your title is public knowledge. Are we saying that if someone is wearing a hero tag that everyone knows they're a hero type?
Indeed why not? Don't want to be known as a hero, swap to civilian clothing and the metahuman tag or a civilian tag.

Talista Glas

Post by Talista Glas » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:14 pm

Angelina Sinclair wrote:
Talista Glas wrote:While this sounds good, it implies that your title is public knowledge. Are we saying that if someone is wearing a hero tag that everyone knows they're a hero type?
Indeed why not? Don't want to be known as a hero, swap to civilian clothing and the metahuman tag or a civilian tag.
Hmm, good point. I think I misinterpreted what you were saying before.
Gimme the sauce, Morty, I need the sauce.

Lady_Grey

Post by Lady_Grey » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:28 pm

Angelina Sinclair wrote:While that is true people do have real lives and they don't want to waste time researching characters who are anti-heroes, or heroes when they perfer to use their time hunting down a villain.
While, as you attest, people do have "real lives" and don't want to "waste time researching" the response does not discredit the original position.

Angelina Sinclair

Post by Angelina Sinclair » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:46 pm

Lady_Grey wrote:
Angelina Sinclair wrote:While that is true people do have real lives and they don't want to waste time researching characters who are anti-heroes, or heroes when they perfer to use their time hunting down a villain.
While, as you attest, people do have "real lives" and don't want to "waste time researching" the response does not discredit the original position.
It does discredit the original post. I wouldn't want my heroine wasting her time researching a character that turns out to be a hero. That's a dead end and a waste of time for me. I rather use it doing something else like fighting crime or investigating a real criminal.

Lady_Grey

Post by Lady_Grey » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:54 pm

Angelina Sinclair wrote:
Lady_Grey wrote:
It does discredit the original post. I wouldn't want my heroine wasting her time researching a character that turns out to be a hero. That's a dead end and a waste of time for me. I rather use it doing something else like fighting crime or investigating a real criminal.

Unfortunately, your assertion that your personal preferences discredit the point that "making the effort to research each of the characters of the various players would be a demonstration of ones dedication to the sim and the back story." is simply self serving and is not an indictment of the hypothesis.

The fact remains that making the effort to research each of the characters of the various players does in fact demonstrate ones dedication to the sim and the back story. The preference of an individual to the information supplied for them does not diminish the veracity

Marie Dominica

Post by Marie Dominica » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:09 pm

The whole point of having more specified tags is that those will HELP people find potential RP partners in players they havent met before without having to invest a whole lot of time on it to discover who they are.

You can pan around the city and find someone promising just by looking at him/her and see by the tag they are the class you prefer to face, be it hero/villain or neutral. Anything else about that character you would still have to find out by playing with them.
This is just a means to let people spot potential partners to play with in an easy and straightforward manner.
It has absolutely nothing to do with people`s efforts in their characters and RP, nothing could be taken away from that simply by wearing a tag that says they are a hero or a villain.

If I was playing my villain and I saw 2 people standing idle in CC, and they each had a tag on. One said Celestial Supervillain and the other said Celestial Superhero. Then I could from that have an easier time to know who I wanted to go after first, and wouldnt really take away anything from that person`s efforts to play their characters at all.
-
“The wonder is, not that the field of stars is so vast, but that man has measured it.” -Anatole France
-
-

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:00 am

The heroes and villains that are in costume are Publicly Known figures. It's annoying (mildly, but still) when I see someone wandering up to an in-world famous character and not knowing who they are. Titlers go a long way towards fixing this, but not everyone can be arsed to set one up.

The fact that Angelina is making the case of "Not everyone has time to research on here" should give people a hint. I happen to know that Angelina has been using the site for research and has made herself a little challenge to try and read EVERY post. That's her deal, though. Not everyone should be expected to hit that standard.... and if we start expecting it, we'll see the sim dry up fast.

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:08 am

Don't know if this will help but every week we publish a roundup of the week's events. You can collect the notecard from the newspaper stand near the Science Center. It takes about 2 mins to read and helps you stay in the loop as to what is going on.
"I can remember, standing by the wall. The guns, shot above our heads, and we kissed, as though nothing could fall. And the shame was on the other side. Oh we can beat them forever and ever. Then we could be heroes just for one day."

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:52 pm

Related to the other discussions about the rules and people's RP limits : If we do hero, heroine, villain, villainess tags....should we also include a sexual / not sexual tag?

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:55 pm

I think "Sexual/Not Sexual" is far too black and white. Sometimes people just aren't in the mood for it. Others the character is in a relationship, but another character is DTF.

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:09 am

I tend to agree with Strong about the sex tags
"I can remember, standing by the wall. The guns, shot above our heads, and we kissed, as though nothing could fall. And the shame was on the other side. Oh we can beat them forever and ever. Then we could be heroes just for one day."

Marie Dominica

Post by Marie Dominica » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:14 pm

I was only suggesting that we let people have Hero/Villain tags so that people may more easily find partners to play with and not have to pick at random if they dont know people already. And if going to people you already know is made erasier then getting to know new ones, you might have players preferring to stick to the ones they already know are heroes or villains. The tag suggestion is purely for the purpose of letting players identify potential partners. OOC. So that they can meet and start to RP together. Everything else comes in time with RP. This is just a quick and easy way to identify someone`s side so that RP can start, and that two strangers can run into eachother and get a fun scene happen as smoothly and effortlessly as possible.

This isnt about giving away IC information, this is for class identifying purposes only. So that when I cam someone standing in CC I see on his tag its for example a hero, then I can im him and ask if he wants to play with my villain. It just makes for easier first contacts. Isnt that a good thing?
-
-
-

BilliAnn Bravin

Post by BilliAnn Bravin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:31 am

I think there's something to be said for both sides of the argument. On the one hand, when you meet a new meta, you're not necessarily going to know whether he's a hero or a villain other than by his (or her) actions. And sometimes that's fuzzy, at least at first. Remember all the times in comics when heroes fought each other because they didn't know the other was also a hero?

On the other hand, this is a game and some of us have limited time, so it would be helpful if we had an easier way to know who is what without having to take the time to observe them in action, which isn't always possible. When I was first having Electrica recruit for a hero team (because at the time there were none in CC), I'd have her extend invitations to other metas she'd seen act heroic in battle at events. I'd try to check on the web database of approved characters to check who was a hero and who wasn't, but sometimes this wasn't possible when involved in an event. At one, she offered a contact to a character who'd acted in what seemed a heroic manner in the battle, but turned out to be a villain. Of course, this could have had an interesting outcome in further play, except that player never followed up on it. Had the heroes and villains been identified by their tags, it would have made recruiting simpler.

I'm not sure what problems anyone might have with titlers. I have one that's child's play to set up and I'd gladly give it to anyone who needed one. Though sometimes the titles on those get hidden behind a person's tag onscreen and they're hard to read--especially if they use a dark color on the text. So a tag might be a better solution.

There might be a logistics problem there, however, as SL groups (unless they've changed since last I looked) are limited to only 10 tags total. And three of those are already taken by the everyone, owner, and officers tags. So there may not be room in group to add more tags at this point. Unless some existing ones are removed. There's now, of course, the Factions group for faction tags, if it's not full already, too. I was happy, though, that we got our faction approved early enough that we got a tag in the main group. I hate having to join bunches of groups to play in one place. It eats up my group space that I need for work and other purposes really fast. So that may be an argument against the idea.

I think we do have to realize that not everyone has the time to do a lot of research to find out what kind of character someone else is playing. If one person does, well, that just puts them that much ahead because then they'll know more about a character than just he or she is a hero or a villain or otherwise. So there's room for both methods, really. The idea is that we're all here to have fun. So anything that will help in achieving that goal, if it's possible and would benefit most people, is worth looking at seriously. :)
When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:56 am

BilliAnn Bravin wrote:I think there's something to be said for both sides of the argument. On the one hand, when you meet a new meta, you're not necessarily going to know whether he's a hero or a villain other than by his (or her) actions. And sometimes that's fuzzy, at least at first. Remember all the times in comics when heroes fought each other because they didn't know the other was also a hero?
Most of the metas people are RPing are somewhat public figures. Electrica, for example, is well known. Someone not knowing who you are is 'unrealistic'.

nightkindangel

Post by nightkindangel » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:52 am

I, for one, don't like to reveal things about my character OOC because I've been metagamed too often. I work very hard at making my avatar reflect what you see, including not showing what would not be obvious and using titlers for details that I can't add to the avatar for whatever reason. Maria is not a super flashy obvious supervillain, so I like to think not everyone is gonna know that much about her. While I have personally solved this issue by wearing my EH tag instead of the main group tag, if I wasn't in the EH, I would not want a tag that defined me as a villain. If others want to display that status for fast RP hook ups, great. I would probably just wear the citizen or "neutral' tag in that case.

I would also hate to be avoided or passed over for RP just because I'm a fellow villain, or followed and harassed IC in anticipation of catching me do a crime just because I'm flagged as a villain. I guess my point is, ok sure have villain and hero tags, but don't pidgeon-hole us into having to use one.

Keep in mind, there are only 10 roles in a single group and at least one of them has to the Owner tag and another the Everyone tag, leaving only 8 for different permissions sets on the virtual land. Vanity tags are a waste of resources. I personally hate the limitation of roles in a group, but it apparently cannot be fixed.

Montyjack - thank you for the post about the newspaper. I will be reading it from now on.

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:46 am

Everyone who joins the group has the default tag "Celestial Citizen".

When they get their character approved they are tagged "Celestial Metahuman" which opens up more group permissions.

What we are talking about here is creating "Hero" "Villain" "Neutral/Anti-hero" tags which every "Metahuman" would be given. You would then have the choice to set the tag that people will see from your groups menu. So YOU can choose to use the Hero, Villain etc tags, or you can just leave it at "metahuman" or even "citizen" if you'd like.

Lady_Grey

Post by Lady_Grey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:20 pm

I, honestly prefer to have the tag blank. I use a titler with character information. When I come to CC (Which admittedly I have not done lately) I am not my SL identity, I am Gillian Gray. My character in here is not who I am elsewhere inworld. Were it not for the fact that inventory is isolated to the base avatar I would do what I see many do and create alts for different characters. Hindsight is 20/20 after all.

((Mr. Strong Note: I hit the wrong button yesterday trying to reply to this post. I hit the edit button by accident, like an idiot. I just looked at the moderation logs and saw it. Removing my statements))

nightkindangel

Post by nightkindangel » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:35 pm

Mr. Strong wrote:Everyone who joins the group has the default tag "Celestial Citizen".

When they get their character approved they are tagged "Celestial Metahuman" which opens up more group permissions.

What we are talking about here is creating "Hero" "Villain" "Neutral/Anti-hero" tags which every "Metahuman" would be given. You would then have the choice to set the tag that people will see from your groups menu. So YOU can choose to use the Hero, Villain etc tags, or you can just leave it at "metahuman" or even "citizen" if you'd like.
Then that would be perfect