Playing Villains

For the sim or the website
Diannah DeCuir

Playing Villains

Post by Diannah DeCuir » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:07 pm

One thing I've noticed is people who play villains calling themselves IC "villains", or describing their acts in this way. WRONG! Villains never think of themselves this way. They consider themselves superior, and their goals are worthy for such superior people.

If you've ever read the book "I'm Ok, You're Ok", criminals are typically of the personality type "I'm ok, you're not ok", meaning they think of themselves as ok, and the rest of the world is screwed up, broken, not ok. Their mentality is basically selfish, leading them to think only THEY are worthy.

The word "villain" has such negative connotations, and they would never see themselves as a villain. Just someone with a uniquely correct worldview.
"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there."--Yogi Berra

Montyjack

Re: Playing Villains

Post by Montyjack » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:09 pm

And it's all true :)
"I can remember, standing by the wall. The guns, shot above our heads, and we kissed, as though nothing could fall. And the shame was on the other side. Oh we can beat them forever and ever. Then we could be heroes just for one day."

nightkindangel

Post by nightkindangel » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:12 pm

not all villains are villains by choice :P Some are victims and recovering victims who just do what it takes to survive and willingly throw their lot in with the devils they already know :P

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:48 pm

It all depends on the characters. There are a lot of real people who considered themselves evil. Alester Crowley, the wickedest man who ever lived in his own words. Many serial killers, Richard Rameriz-The Night Stalker, Henry Lee Lucas, the Zodiac, etc. Then there's the ones who are evil by choice like Anton LeVey and of course the edgy youth who want to be evil just to shock people.

So yeah there is not just one way to play villains or really any characters.

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:53 pm

Darkseid didn't go around talking about how he was actually a swell-fella either. Lex Luthor is self-justified, but not all villains are like that. Some just want power and control, don't believe in morality at all, and are comfortable being called "villains" because the expect that most people will object to them taking control.

Demons, Dark Gods, Chtulu worshippers, Shadow Magicians (most but not all), and prettymuch any resident of the Anti-Matter Universe of Qward are all comfortable calling themselves Evil.

Butterfly of Doom

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:48 pm

My androids will.. be programmed that way. They will see themselves as right and just.
"What? How dare!... The nerve of... Ugh!"- Celeste
"Our enemy is never as evil as we imagine." - Katyusha
"Utterly' is my favorite way to destroy something." - Alecta
"Turn your wounds into wisdom" - Anna

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:29 pm

I don't see the point in imbuing a robot with any morality at all. They don't require motivation to get them to perform at their peak the way humans do. They have set directives and they perform them.

But, y'know, they're your robots.... Do what you want.

Butterfly of Doom

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:38 pm

their creator isn't top shelf AI itself.
"What? How dare!... The nerve of... Ugh!"- Celeste
"Our enemy is never as evil as we imagine." - Katyusha
"Utterly' is my favorite way to destroy something." - Alecta
"Turn your wounds into wisdom" - Anna

Angelina Sinclair

Post by Angelina Sinclair » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:08 pm

Diannah DeCuir wrote:One thing I've noticed is people who play villains calling themselves IC "villains", or describing their acts in this way. WRONG! Villains never think of themselves this way. They consider themselves superior, and their goals are worthy for such superior people.

If you've ever read the book "I'm Ok, You're Ok", criminals are typically of the personality type "I'm ok, you're not ok", meaning they think of themselves as ok, and the rest of the world is screwed up, broken, not ok. Their mentality is basically selfish, leading them to think only THEY are worthy.

The word "villain" has such negative connotations, and they would never see themselves as a villain. Just someone with a uniquely correct worldview.
I don't agree with this entirely.

A character who is a killer will eventually accept that they are a "killer" and would tell others that they are a killer or have killed. If someone called them a villain they wouldn't think or tell the person "Noo. I'm not a villain." They'll just shrug it off, agree or tell them they are a killer instead.

You also got those types who'll do bad things just to be different or to be cool.

Diannah DeCuir

Post by Diannah DeCuir » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:36 pm

Calling yourself a killer is a different discussion. There are even heroes who will call themselves killers.
"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there."--Yogi Berra

Brittainy Collins

Post by Brittainy Collins » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:53 pm

At the same time... there are villians who simply see both other villains and heroes as maggots and all should just be used to benefit what it is they seek...
Jack Sparrow: [holds up jar of dirt] Oi! Fishface! Lose something? Eh? Scungilli!
Got it! Come to negotiate, eh? Have you, you slimy git? Look what I got.
I got a jar of dirt, I got a jar of dirt, and guess what's inside it!

Tatara Ling

Post by Tatara Ling » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:45 am

Everyone's kinda the hero of their own story, but there's nothing necessarily wrong with someone being genre savy to their motivations are basically for the evulz.

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:35 am

I just want to add a few things I've noticed about playing villains in CC. I've got a bucket load of them, ranging from superhard unhinged nutters to socially sophisticated evil geniuses. I've seen a lot of guys talking about how there are too many heroes and not enough villains and so you can't 'win'. Although I see this point, I think you have to bear in mind that being a villain is not just donning a black cape rather than a red one, you have to think like one. Once you have this mindset the odds can be evened out pretty quickly.

So:

Think distractions - Heroes have to protect the innocent by nature, so attack the innocent to make your escape or achieve another objective. An NPC attack is always a goodie. Remember Celestial City is full of people, so attack a few :) Ham it up to "So Goodie twoshoes Man, stand down or I'll pull her apart" No self-respecting hero is going to allow that to happen. And if they do the IC consequences for the hero should be pretty severe: Loss of reputation, being shunned by most, possibly approached by angry mobs etc.

Other things you should think about is environmental attacks rather than direct attacks. Most of the heroes have good defenses against these kind of things and as such unless you have mega power, you're not going to get very far. So choose your powers and devices with care. Think about weapons that blind, disorientate, manipulate weather systems, things which are genuinely hard to overcome.

Get someone else to do the hard work. Rarely do villains do things themselves, they have an army of minions. These pawns are sacrificial. If heroes attack the pawns well that's ok you just come back with more and create chaos the next day.

Remember as a villain you could be:
Unhinged
Egotistical
Selfish
Uncaring - Psychopaths do not have any regard for human feeling, your villain should have little of it too. Incidentally, the only other section of our society that thinks on these lines are economists.

Most of all though have a goal in mind for your villain. This may not be to take over the world. Here are a few of my villains and goals: Remember this is OOC

Ripper - To generate fear in others. He feeds off fear and needs it to function.

Half-Face - To help Shiva regain control of Celestial City in exchange for finding his friend

Sir Jerry - To configure Celestial City to give him absolute power and control through the manipulation of others.

Aztar - To carry out his mission to kill significant people in this time to affect the future in his own

Synomicon - A symbiont creature genetically engineered to corrupt and destroy 'good' people.

The Elephant Man - The spirit of a long-dead king possess a normal man, and like all kings wants gold and power

Most of all, have fun with your villain just give them some thought.
"I can remember, standing by the wall. The guns, shot above our heads, and we kissed, as though nothing could fall. And the shame was on the other side. Oh we can beat them forever and ever. Then we could be heroes just for one day."

BilliAnn Bravin

Post by BilliAnn Bravin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:04 am

Cthulhu worshipers aren't evil. They're fodder for their god, who is beyond such concepts as good and evil. :mrgreen: Ia! Ia! Cthulhu! F'tagn! Er, I mean . . . uhhh, tentacles anyone?
When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!

Yata and Reaver
Superhero

Post by Yata and Reaver » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:05 pm

Montyjack wrote:I just want to add a few things I've noticed about playing villains in CC. I've got a bucket load of them, ranging from superhard unhinged nutters to socially sophisticated evil geniuses. I've seen a lot of guys talking about how there are too many heroes and not enough villains and so you can't 'win'. Although I see this point, I think you have to bear in mind that being a villain is not just donning a black cape rather than a red one, you have to think like one. Once you have this mindset the odds can be evened out pretty quickly.

So:

Think distractions - Heroes have to protect the innocent by nature, so attack the innocent to make your escape or achieve another objective. An NPC attack is always a goodie. Remember Celestial City is full of people, so attack a few :) Ham it up to "So Goodie twoshoes Man, stand down or I'll pull her apart" No self-respecting hero is going to allow that to happen. And if they do the IC consequences for the hero should be pretty severe: Loss of reputation, being shunned by most, possibly approached by angry mobs etc.

Other things you should think about is environmental attacks rather than direct attacks. Most of the heroes have good defenses against these kind of things and as such unless you have mega power, you're not going to get very far. So choose your powers and devices with care. Think about weapons that blind, disorientate, manipulate weather systems, things which are genuinely hard to overcome.

Get someone else to do the hard work. Rarely do villains do things themselves, they have an army of minions. These pawns are sacrificial. If heroes attack the pawns well that's ok you just come back with more and create chaos the next day.

Remember as a villain you could be:
Unhinged
Egotistical
Selfish
Uncaring - Psychopaths do not have any regard for human feeling, your villain should have little of it too. Incidentally, the only other section of our society that thinks on these lines are economists.

Most of all though have a goal in mind for your villain. This may not be to take over the world. Here are a few of my villains and goals: Remember this is OOC

Ripper - To generate fear in others. He feeds off fear and needs it to function.

Half-Face - To help Shiva regain control of Celestial City in exchange for finding his friend

Sir Jerry - To configure Celestial City to give him absolute power and control through the manipulation of others.

Aztar - To carry out his mission to kill significant people in this time to affect the future in his own

Synomicon - A symbiont creature genetically engineered to corrupt and destroy 'good' people.

The Elephant Man - The spirit of a long-dead king possess a normal man, and like all kings wants gold and power

Most of all, have fun with your villain just give them some thought.
This post made me think of two characters I play that aren't heroes.

Discord is a mercenary who kills or captures others in order to collect bounties. Sometimes he likes to mentally torture the target for fun by having them live out their greatest fears in their heads, but he's in it mostly for the money. If he is outnumbered, he will try his best to create a distraction that endangers as many innocent lives as possible if it means he escapes justice.

Darkblazer likes to collect and steal items with supernatural properties and add them to his collection. He has little regard for who he steals from or how he does it. Sometimes, he may coerce a civilian to put his/herself(and/or others) in danger using his unholy magic. He is selfish and manipulative in his goal to collect mysticism items in hopes of becoming powerful enough to cause a civil war in the depths of Hell that will leave enough of a power vacuum to allow him to become the new Lord of Darkness.
"Ass whoopin', comin' up"
Shun Itagaki/Yatagarasu

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:56 am

Azzie is something of a social Darwinist; she is keen on survival of the fittest and taking whatever you can hold - that was the culture she lived in. Might makes Right, or at least makes one "more worthy" than the less-powerful.

She doesn't consider herself a villainess; she is pursuing a Personal Mission and dealing with what gets in her way.

Of course, Azzie is pretty much an Alien and considers her mission and desires much more important than those of the short-lived mortals inhabiting CC.....
~Azrael

“People who claim that they're evil are usually no worse than the rest of us... It's people who claim that they're good that you have to be wary of.”
― Gregory Maguire