Suggestion: clarified zones

For the sim or the website
Butterfly of Doom

Suggestion: clarified zones

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:50 pm

Due to the heat on the other post about rules posting this here.

What defines public..and what private?

My view here:

Obviously public: Street, Mall, Sewer?

Gray area: Inside theatre, courts, Businesses serving the public (where access would be possible to public but private scenes might take place)

Private: Apartments. Elysium House. (where public access might be granted at the owners whim, but is technically private)
"The nerve of... Ugh!"- Celeste
"Our enemy is never as evil as we imagine." - Katyusha
"Utterly' is my favorite way to destroy something." - Alecta
"Turn your wounds into wisdom" - Anna
"..." - Eventide

BilliAnn Bravin

Re: Suggestion: clarified zones

Post by BilliAnn Bravin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:07 am

I'd put sewers into the gray area, as access might be possible, but you're not likely just to happen on anything going on in the sewer unless you're specifically looking there for something. Unless maybe the manhole covers all blast up into the air following an explosion underground or something. :)
When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:03 am

Middle of the street - Fully public.

If the view is in any way obscured - Indoors, an alleyway, then just ask. It doesn't break immersion for your character to not notice what's being done in a dark alleyway, or to disregard/not notice certain sounds. On the other hand, the players might want to be caught because they get off on humiliation, etc.

If someone's getting railed in the middle of Sin City, come on in as long as your character wouldn't interrupt physically.

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:12 am

I wouldn't say the sewers were public as they are not in view.
"I can remember, standing by the wall. The guns, shot above our heads, and we kissed, as though nothing could fall. And the shame was on the other side. Oh we can beat them forever and ever. Then we could be heroes just for one day."

Diannah DeCuir

Post by Diannah DeCuir » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:13 am

I would add the open mall area is obviously public, but what about inside the stores?
"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there."--Yogi Berra

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:27 am

I guess the rule should be if the public are welcome there it should be considered public. You wouldn't have to interact with someone in a shop, but you could go into the shop and rp if you wanted to.
"I can remember, standing by the wall. The guns, shot above our heads, and we kissed, as though nothing could fall. And the shame was on the other side. Oh we can beat them forever and ever. Then we could be heroes just for one day."

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:07 am

Inside a shop: Emote freely, but if they OOCly ask you to stop, you should, as a courtesy.

Rooftops (if you can fly) and alleys are the same. Maybe emote that you can see, but stop if asked. That's just my opinion.

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:10 am

I tend to agree

Butterfly of Doom

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:41 am

so if we go by where the public is welcome. City hall or police front area = public, but gray area or private beyond

right?
"..." - Eventide

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:01 pm

I would say that the police station is a public area for sure. City hall I imagine there would be security and characters would need a reason to be there. It is the equivalent of the White House after all

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:39 pm

If the view is in any way obscured - Indoors, an alleyway, then just ask. It doesn't break immersion for your character to not notice what's being done in a dark alleyway, or to disregard/not notice certain sounds. On the other hand, the players might want to be caught because they get off on humiliation, etc.

If someone's getting railed in the middle of Sin City, come on in as long as your character wouldn't interrupt physically.
This is how I see it. If you cannot help but see something then it is public. If you have to make an effort to look, even going in a less traveled area, then it is concealed. Strong got it pretty correct.

It will get to complicated to define each building and then soon people will be asking for signs public / concealed. So that is my general rule of thumb. It worked perfectly well in the Patchwork.

Butterfly of Doom

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:09 pm

Montyjack wrote:I would say that the police station is a public area for sure. City hall I imagine there would be security and characters would need a reason to be there. It is the equivalent of the White House after all
Well I am thinking the entryway. Because that's where permits for business etc would probably be filed. The office would be private if anyone was in. and guarded at all times
"..." - Eventide

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:21 pm

Chyleste wrote:

This is how I see it. If you cannot help but see something then it is public. If you have to make an effort to look, even going in a less traveled area, then it is concealed. Strong got it pretty correct.

It will get to complicated to define each building and then soon people will be asking for signs public / concealed. So that is my general rule of thumb. It worked perfectly well in the Patchwork.
"Strong got it pretty correct" should be our site motto.

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:05 pm

*nods* The motto would be "Strong got it pretty correct once"

Diannah DeCuir

Post by Diannah DeCuir » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:05 am

Mr. Strong wrote:"Strong got it pretty correct" should be our site motto.
How about "A stopped clock is right twice a day."? :P
"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there."--Yogi Berra

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:22 am

Butterfly of Doom wrote:
Montyjack wrote:I would say that the police station is a public area for sure. City hall I imagine there would be security and characters would need a reason to be there. It is the equivalent of the White House after all
Well I am thinking the entryway. Because that's where permits for business etc would probably be filed. The office would be private if anyone was in. and guarded at all times
That's a fair point. They would have a public area.

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:56 am

An alleyway is "public" as well. If someone's indoors or behind something, or in any way trying to hide, it can be assumed that they might not want to be seen.

A message along the lines of "I see you... naughty person. Mind if I/my character watches?" or an emote of "x walks past the police station/alleyway and hears a strange noise" should make everything clear.

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:17 pm

Yes an alley is public but it shows that there is an effort to keep the scene more concealed. That is the important thing. See my above post.