Polishing the sim

For the sim or the website
Chyleste
Site Admin

Polishing the sim

Post by Chyleste » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:28 am

Let me explain the way I have been building the sim. I have been doing things differently than most sim I or probably anyone else has built.
Most of the time when you build something, you create one building and finish it. Then you move to the next one, build it to completion and so forth. Because there was so much interest so fast, we needed a city to play in quickly. So instead of focusing on one area at a time, I have been building the entire sim as one unit.
That means that I had to put in mostly simple structures all over to make sure I had room and prims. Now I have about 80% of the sim in place. I am starting to go back and finish everything.
You might have noticed a difference in quality between some of the eastern buildings and the newer places. The older buildings are slowly being improved.
Which brings me to the point of this thread. I have found a few places that need major changes. If you see an area / building that you really think is lame let me know. I might disagree but I will listen and discuss anything.
So this thread is a place to request and discuss changes to the existing buildings.

Diannah DeCuir

Re: Polishing the sim

Post by Diannah DeCuir » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:04 am

Here's what I have:

1. We need a senate room in the city hall, although we still need to discuss this a bit more. For example, how big would our senate be?

2. Don't hate me for this, but...I'm not a tram fan. It seems kind of redundant to the subway. The rails are always in the way when I photograph street rp scenes. I can walk anywhere in town faster than taking the tram. It doesn't really lend itself to an rp in any way different then the subway. I'm in favor of tossing the tram and using the prims for anything else.

3. Just an idea: How about a "generic" mansion in the sim? For the wealthier characters amongst us, they could share the generic mansion as a home.

That's good for now. Keep up the great work! :)
"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there."--Yogi Berra

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:11 am

I like ideas 1 and 3. The thing about this current monorail is that it speaks in nearby chat which i find a bit offputting in IC. I don't have a preference on keeping it one way or another.
"I can remember, standing by the wall. The guns, shot above our heads, and we kissed, as though nothing could fall. And the shame was on the other side. Oh we can beat them forever and ever. Then we could be heroes just for one day."

Siphon

Post by Siphon » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:11 am

Hmmmm I think I am going to agree with the monorail argument it doesn't add much to the sim and its a bit redundant with the subway.

I agree with the idea #1 from Diannah... as of #3 not so sure if it would bring value to the sim as a whole to occupy a rather big space for a single player housing.

Of what is missing I think a "something" for the science themed characters. Maybe something among the lines of a laboratory?
<<click up here for my character sheet>>

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:14 am

There is a science centre already. The Kirby science centre which currently has a lab in the basement. It could be fitted with labs on every floor so science can blossom in CC:) I think Di meant that the mansion could be used for various characters who were wealthy/powerful rather than just one. Kind of like a timeshare :)
"I can remember, standing by the wall. The guns, shot above our heads, and we kissed, as though nothing could fall. And the shame was on the other side. Oh we can beat them forever and ever. Then we could be heroes just for one day."

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:21 am

I just got a new tram system. It is awesome! I have had so many positive comments on the tram that we will have something. I agree on the chat spam. I am still testing this one and I might combine the tram and the subway into one track both above and below ground. I can do things with this new tram I could not with the old one.

I have no idea where we could put a mansion that would really fit but maybe....maybe....

Yes we have the science center and it is getting a major overhaul very soon. I am waiting on some more things to be able to furnish and remodel it properly.

Perhaps I should just tear down a lot of the sim and rebuild. Hmmm

Siphon

Post by Siphon » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:41 am

Ahh seems I forgot completely about the science centre my bad!!! Well I think then most bases are covered, maybe a couple more of villain-ish places but I think overall the sim has the variety it needs. Can't wait to see the new tram system!

Diannah DeCuir

Post by Diannah DeCuir » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:48 am

Chy, don't you dare tear up the sim! It's mostly wonderful as is.

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:12 am

Don't worry. I am going to be making some big revisions to fix things that need work but the sim itself will still be here and remain playable with as little disruption as possible.

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:02 am

It will be at least a few days before I can put in the new transit system. I will be combining the above ground and underground subway, maybe a week at most.

I'm currently reworking the southeast corner and mountains. I will not confirm what I am building there yet, but I will say it's pretty crazy.

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:50 am

You may have noticed I have been changing the roads. The new roads use a lot less prims and do not have the error of rezzing on the road. Yes it's true, we will no longer lose items if you rezz them on the road.
The roads have so far saved around 30 prims. I am placed most of the roads and will be working on making the curves over the next couple days. There will also be some new routes like along the south mountains.

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:57 am

This week if everything goes according to plan, I will be installing our new transit system. I plan for it to be combined underground and suspended above ground tram. It can seat up to 18 passengers and does not spam local chat with station messages.

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:55 pm

Within the next couple days, there will be a lot of cool stuff. I hope to be able to get the new transit system installed. I will have to completely redo the subway tunnels and rework the tram stops. This major renovations will be done at night (US time) when there are very few people on sim.
In the southeast corner above the lake, if all goes according to plan, we will have open the Celestial City mental hospital / asylum. I will eventually be adding a small network of caves in those mountains.

Diannah DeCuir

Post by Diannah DeCuir » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:17 am

Chyleste wrote:In the southeast corner above the lake, if all goes according to plan, we will have open the Celestial City mental hospital / asylum. I will eventually be adding a small network of caves in those mountains.
WOOT! Love it! :D

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:09 am

The sim just gets better and better!

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:06 pm

The Asylum is open. The transit system might end up being just a subway that runs under the entire city instead of the eastern half as it is now. Because SL

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:49 pm

Asylum open? Phew, have somewhere for all my characters to live now!

Siphon

Post by Siphon » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:27 pm

Just checked the asylum and it looks good!! great job chyleste!!

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:45 pm

Thank you. I am getting close to being almost nearly caught up. Over the next few days I will be working on getting the new subway in place and finishing the revisions on some of the faction hqs. Then I just might take a little break.

Lyiai

Post by Lyiai » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:07 pm

Anything that adds more places or secret labs for my evil mad..... i mean nice scientist is always a plus

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:04 am

Fixing up the science center is on the list. Also on the list is the new subway, some miscellaneous cosmetic repairs on roads etc, fixing the park again and possibly a couple more things, depending on my mood and patience.

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:12 am

By the way, the word Department is spelt wrong on the police station sign. Just sayin.. 'Departement'

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:45 am

I did not make the sign. I bought it. Make a better one and I will replace it.

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:08 am

It's no biggee. And if I made the sign it would be a disaster :D

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:41 am

The new subway is up and running. I am adding a lot of little places and hidden areas in the tunnels over the next couple days. I should have the last station open by the mall before the weekend.