Suggested New Rules-Input Required

Angelina Sinclair

Re: Suggested New Rules-Input Required

Post by Angelina Sinclair » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:32 pm

What do people think about only hero factions/groups only allowed to jump in the battles of another hero of the same faction/group?

I'm talking about battles only not anything before or after..

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:52 pm

There are overlapping hero alliances. That and Captain Strong might want to slug a heroic character, or he might want to slug a villainous character, regardless of who they're fighting at the time.

I think simply thinking ... "Does my character have a stake in this? Would he/she get involved?" is enough, and then ask "Hey, mind if I join?" Simply standing on the periphery and emoting something like

"Captain Strong hovers above the fray watching XYZ throw ABC around, and he considers whether or not he should get involved. He holds for now, until it becomes obvious his assistance is necessary."
See if you're dared to attack by the opposition, or asked to help by the hero.

There's really a million ways to go about it, but jumping into an active battle and attacking on your entry-post is extremely bad-form, regardless of how "open" the scene may or may not be. Take your entry post to ascertain and consider involvement. See where it goes... That's the main thing. Not piling on.

What some people don't seem to understand is... This rule was suggested by heroines AND villains. It isn't JUST that villains are tired of being outnumbered. It's a complaint we're addressing, and it isn't an uncommon one.

Angelina Sinclair

Post by Angelina Sinclair » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:20 pm

Mr. Strong wrote:There are overlapping hero alliances. That and Captain Strong might want to slug a heroic character, or he might want to slug a villainous character, regardless of who they're fighting at the time.

I think simply thinking ... "Does my character have a stake in this? Would he/she get involved?" is enough, and then ask "Hey, mind if I join?" Simply standing on the periphery and emoting something like

"Captain Strong hovers above the fray watching XYZ throw ABC around, and he considers whether or not he should get involved. He holds for now, until it becomes obvious his assistance is necessary."

There's really a million ways to go about it, but jumping into an active battle and attacking on your entry-post is extremely bad-form, regardless of how "open" the scene may or may not be. Take your entry post to ascertain and consider involvement. See where it goes... That's the main thing. Not piling on.

What some people don't seem to understand is... This rule was suggested by heroines AND villains. It isn't JUST that villains are tired of being outnumbered. It's a complaint we're addressing, and it isn't an uncommon one.
That exact scenario is bad but I get your point.

Personally I prefer heroes to "not notice" or to believe the other(s) can handle it. Simply when the fight is over said hero who was watching will jump in if the villain has won. Fights don't last several hours. They only do in SL because of the big posts we do. So people jumping in the middle of a fight without knowing either person involved just doesn't make sense to me especially if there's hostages or something.

Though that's just me.

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:47 pm

If someone has a need to get involved in order to not break immersion... Rescue some NPC civilian from collateral damage and transport them to a hospital. Then find something else to distract you.

There's also the option of "Time Dilation/Disparity" ... Meaning, I'm not always RPing my character as being at the same moment in time. Sometimes I'm continuing scenes that ended the previous night... or two nights previous. So just because there's a fight going on at 7SLT doesn't mean that it's 7SLT when your character passes through that area. It could be earlier, it could be later....

By necessity, if you think about it, Time Dilation exists in CC. How else could a 2 minute fight take the same amount of time as a 45 minute conversation?

Butterfly of Doom

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:52 pm

Mr. Strong wrote:
If you're "excluded" from these scenes, you shouldn't take it personally. It isn't "YOU" or even "Your character" that's being "excluded". It's just that they already have something going on. Outside of events, I do not want excessive gatherings of heroes taking on single villains. If it keeps up we're gonna wind up with all our violent villains imprisoned... which might make for a great RL world, but a boring af RP-world.
Oh.. I won't be excluded..ill be ic heckling and harassing. They can choose to bring me in or not
"The nerve of... Ugh!"- Celeste
"Our enemy is never as evil as we imagine." - Katyusha
"Utterly' is my favorite way to destroy something." - Alecta
"Turn your wounds into wisdom" - Anna
"..." - Eventide

Butterfly of Doom

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Angelina Sinclair wrote:
Mr. Strong wrote:There are overlapping hero alliances. That and Captain Strong might want to slug a heroic character, or he might want to slug a villainous character, regardless of who they're fighting at the time.

That exact scenario is bad but I get your point.

Personally I prefer heroes to "not notice" or to believe the other(s) can handle it. Simply when the fight is over said hero who was watching will jump in if the villain has won. Fights don't last several hours. They only do in SL because of the big posts we do. So people jumping in the middle of a fight without knowing either person involved just doesn't make sense to me especially if there's hostages or something.

Though that's just me.
fight goes on for 10 minutes I can believe it. For an hour.. I don't
"..." - Eventide

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:00 pm

An hour of RL time is not equivalent to an hour of RP time. It takes people 3-7 minutes to write a post. How long does it take to throw a punch? Answer: Less than a second.

Siphon

Post by Siphon » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:05 pm

When it comes to time, personally I take the D&D rule (or it might be another system I am confusing) and I assume that whatever happens in a turn will happen in a span of 6 seconds.
<<click up here for my character sheet>>

Butterfly of Doom

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:06 pm

And travel time in rp is also set to a similar scale . One hour can pass in a seconds posting. So my statement stands

others may do it differently.. their choice
Last edited by Butterfly of Doom on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"..." - Eventide

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:13 pm

No. It doesn't. You are incorrect. Your viewpoint is in the minority. The vast majority of people who have commented would like to be able to control who enters their battle scenes, or sex scenes, regardless of when they take place.

There is tons of acreage on our sim. Simply find someplace else to be.

Butterfly of Doom

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:17 pm

Mr. Strong wrote:No. It doesn't. You are incorrect. Your viewpoint is in the minority. The vast majority of people who have commented would like to be able to control who enters their battle scenes, or sex scenes, regardless of when they take place.

There is tons of acreage on our sim. Simply find someplace else to be.

if its in public, I will ask before joining but I am free to rp seeing it. And commenting on it. Just because I am in the minority does not mean I am incorrect.

I will nto atry to strike someone in a fight I have been told no..nor spank someone in a sex scene I have been told no. But if they are in public, then someone walking up and whistling ot booing the villain..or recording a fight for giving evidence to the police.. is all perfectly valid. Unlike in a private setting.
Last edited by Butterfly of Doom on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"..." - Eventide

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:23 pm

The discussion is about what's courteous. That's determined by what the majority wants... so you being in the minority means that you're incorrect on this.

Yes, see it. Yes, comment on it. Interfere with it, NO. Eventually you will need to find a reason for your character to be unable to stop the villain from presumably carrying away a defeated heroine (or hero).

The "peanut gallery" observing and commenting is part of what makes playing in public fun! People want that (I assume?) but what they don't want is the scene derailed by someone deciding to play the White Knight. There will be times where they are fine with being "interrupted" by someone else joining the fight. When that's the case, they'll let you know if you ask.

Butterfly of Doom

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:27 pm

Mr. Strong wrote:The discussion is about what's courteous. That's determined by what the majority wants... so you being in the minority means that you're incorrect on this.

Yes, see it. Yes, comment on it. Interfere with it, NO. Eventually you will need to find a reason for your character to be unable to stop the villain from presumably carrying away a defeated heroine (or hero).

The "peanut gallery" observing and commenting is part of what makes playing in public fun! People want that (I assume?) but what they don't want is the scene derailed by someone deciding to play the White Knight. There will be times where they are fine with being "interrupted" by someone else joining the fight. When that's the case, they'll let you know if you ask.
That's exactly what I am saying and you are calling me incorrect on. Then in the same post telling me I am perfectly fine doing..exactly what I said. In public one should never expect privacy. That's as much of an entitlement as someone jumping into a fight uninvited. What we have both stated is a viable compromise in my opinion.

The part I have spoken about refusing entry to those who routinely refuse people entry to theirs (in public).. is a way of showing those people how it feels. And perfectly valid.

edit: we both have strong feelings on this- and the people involved do as well. The vibe I was getting from earlier commenting was ' if theres a fight, ask..otherwise stay away' - that mentality kills sims in my experience, and if you ask around.. most of the time I have asked.. even without a rule in place. Even for some social if it seems to be some sort of planned thing (like 4 people in a faction looking at the site for their new base.. getting everyone online is tricky..and until its built..they HAVE to be in the street).
"..." - Eventide

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:47 pm

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, observing is fine. White-Knighting and Cock/Cunt-blocking is what we're targeting, along with just blatantly unrealistic pile-ons to deal with relatively minor villainous acts.

Butterfly of Doom

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:59 pm

White knighting is something I abhor - I remember an incident that Persephone was being raped. IC she asked for help.. ooc she said don't it was part of the reaction and not what she wanted. The ooc we have to respect. The seeing a villain rape a hero.. that would be dependent on character.. on how they observe anyway. recording..laughing..cheering on. Everyone will have a special touch
"..." - Eventide

Pilix Nagy

Post by Pilix Nagy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:14 pm

And that's all we've been asking for the whole time, Butterfly. x D To just not directly interfere with a scene, if the participants don't want it derailed. Of course we're fine with people SEEING it, if it's out in public. That would be the whole point of doing such a scene in public. We just don't want the goals interrupted, or unrealistic ganging up on the one bad guy which leaves them with no chance of ever winning.
From your earlier posts, it sounded like you were saying anyone should be able to jump into any scene, directly getting involved, if it's out on the street. Clearly there was some misreading and misunderstanding on both sides here.

Butterfly of Doom

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:31 pm

Possible. Sorry!
"..." - Eventide

Angelina Sinclair

Post by Angelina Sinclair » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:19 pm

Butterfly of Doom wrote:or recording a fight for giving evidence to the police...
Wait record a fight that you are watching? I know that makes sense in today's digital age but for a fight that should be over fast and be recorded just because you arrived to the RP 2 hrs late seems a tad on unfair. Unless you caught the whole thing from start to finish.

Then again that could also be a bait to inject yourself into an RP since if the villain doesn't want any recording they'll have to attack to prevent it which would in turn draw you in...

But then that's a tad too much isn't? Having to ask for permission to record?

I don't know I'm on the fence on this one. :/

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:28 pm

I don't see a problem with IC recording, watching, or even making comments. That does not interrupt the scene.

I used to go to Public Disgrace and stand around making fun of the bad rp telling the guys that they are fucking all wrong. I would coach and give pointers while they were rping a rape scene. "No dude. She is not screaming. If you can't fuck her right, then let her peg you. "

Angelina Sinclair

Post by Angelina Sinclair » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:20 pm

lol you are terrible Chy. :lol:

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:32 pm

Terrible? Maybe. I prefer to think that I am changing the world to my vision starting with what is around me. I make my own reality.

Marie Dominica

Post by Marie Dominica » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:21 am

Angelina Sinclair wrote:
BilliAnn Bravin wrote: Of course, about the only way to do that is to use dice, and to some that's totally anemathea. (I can see some getting out the tar and feathers now for even mentioning it . . .) I'm not suggesting that be done at CC. Just pointing out that different people are comfortable with different levels of rules, and we'll probably never get total agreement on it.
Ha! Dice. I wouldn't mind actually trying that once. Though distributing points and stats will be tricky! The idea is nice though.
No no no no no no no no no no no... oh, and to add to that.. NO.

Ive played with dice, ive tried huds that gives xp and modifiers. And.. NO. It doesnt do anything but add randomness to any scene. The only reason for having dice in RP is if you have players who have issues with loosing a battle, and if that is the case then they have missed the whole point of this anyway.
-
“The wonder is, not that the field of stars is so vast, but that man has measured it.” -Anatole France
-
-

Pilix Nagy

Post by Pilix Nagy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:10 am

Marie Dominica wrote: No no no no no no no no no no no... oh, and to add to that.. NO.

Ive played with dice, ive tried huds that gives xp and modifiers. And.. NO. It doesnt do anything but add randomness to any scene. The only reason for having dice in RP is if you have players who have issues with loosing a battle, and if that is the case then they have missed the whole point of this anyway.
Dice CAN have valid uses.. occasionally. Maybe more for personal use. Such as if you have a character with an ability that is meant to be a little random. Like having some chance of failing, or backfiring, and you feel like keeping it random. You can roll dice for yourself to see what you'll end up doing. But overall, dice ruling over the whole scene or the combat... yeah, no. I don't like using dice for combat scenes. It's too random, and usually ignores a character's skills.

BilliAnn Bravin

Post by BilliAnn Bravin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:24 am

Yeah, the place I created and played Electrica before, the characters were created using points and had varying stats and skills and power levels and things, all of which gave modifiers to the dice roll. It was complicated and required a hud to do the rolling (though we often had to add in factors to that ourselves on top of it), and not everyone liked it. They even tried simplying the system, which of course required everyone redoing their characters under the new system; that was about the point I left. I didn't have much problem with the original system cause I'd played Champions and other tabletop RPGs in the past, and this system was much simpler than games such as that. In an environment such as at CC, where characters don't have stats or things to go by, it would be difficult to compare one to another for valid rolls unless you just went with a straight random dice roll, maybe assigning percentage chances of certain actions taking place. But it would still take up time doing that--and as is it already takes long enough to get through a battle or event if there are a lot of players. So not really feasible in CC probably. So I guess we shouldn't expect to hear cries of "Snake Eyes!" anytime soon in CC. Well, unless someone creates a character by that name . . .
When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:18 am

Actually, dice rolls would probably speed the big events up but cut down on the emersion. Instead of 'I draw power from the never world and cast it down upon the creature with six eyes with 50 tons of force etc', you'd probably just say 'I attack it with my wham-bam powe'r' and roll. In effect, this becomes mechanical. Also given we've got willing non-powered humans at one end of the spectrum, and god-like creatures at the other, trying to work out stats and modifiers would be difficult. When I used to RP in SWTOR we were going to bring in dice rolls and developed a system to use. This was to combat god modding force users who were a bit of a pain. I don't think we need to do that here.

Where it might have some application is if somebody wants to modify their character sheet to show they have learned a new skill or upgraded something. Then they could roll to see if they have been successful. Again, this is quite a hassle, and I don't think many people can be arsed. So I'm not really up for dice rolls personally.
"I can remember, standing by the wall. The guns, shot above our heads, and we kissed, as though nothing could fall. And the shame was on the other side. Oh we can beat them forever and ever. Then we could be heroes just for one day."