Suggested New Player Character Upgrade Rules - Input Required

Montyjack

Suggested New Player Character Upgrade Rules - Input Required

Post by Montyjack » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:09 am

Due to high demand in player character upgrades, we are proposing the following rules to maintain balance in the sim.

Suggested Rules

After generating your character, you are entitled to one free upgrade to help you find your level. This means you will not need an IC reason to upgrade. Subject to admin approval.
(If your character has upgraded already, this free upgrade is not applicable)

After which:

Upgrades to equipment and abilities are limited to one per month

To get an upgrade you must have:

An IC reason to be able to get the upgrade. The IC reason and details about the upgrade must be submitted on a notecard to an admin. Providing admin agrees it, you will be able to get the upgrade.

If the upgrade is significant you may be asked to do an event for the upgrade. This event has to be agreed with an admin before you host it. Please note, there is a possibility that you may not be successful depending on the outcome of the event and as such you will not be able to upgrade. If this happens better luck next time.

Please give your views below:
"I can remember, standing by the wall. The guns, shot above our heads, and we kissed, as though nothing could fall. And the shame was on the other side. Oh we can beat them forever and ever. Then we could be heroes just for one day."

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Re: Suggested New Player Character Upgrade Rules - Input Required

Post by Mr. Strong » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:01 am

A bit selfish but... This is also going to make our lives quite a bit easier. We're getting so many alterations and expansions lately, that it's hard to even keep track of what people can and can't do.

For that reason, I recommend people use the forums and update their character sheets with the "current canon" version of the character. It isn't so much a matter of people are becoming overpowered as it is difficult to keep track of. Regardless of if this goes into effect as a rule, that's a good policy to have that posted in the case of disputes ("Can your character even DO that???")

It can take a while to "find the balance" of where people are at and where you'll want to be in relation to them. So, for that reason, we allow a reasonable "grace period" if you realize that you aren't balanced where you expected to be, should this rule go into effect.

This rule would go for any alterations, including depowering/nerfing your character, or replacing one set of powers with a different but equal powerset.

LillianVickson

Post by LillianVickson » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:44 am

I like this!

Powergaming is a peeve of mine. (I'm not sure if that relates directly to my tendency to have Street-Level characters or not)

I recently noted a 'new power' for Dr M in his Sheet thread, though I do not plan to use have him have it for - well, coincidentally- a month or so.

Does it make as much sense as I think to get pre-approval for abilities and delay their addition for later?
Beep Me

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:28 am

I wouldn't be against that idea Lillian. It Kind of makes sense Ic. Let's see what others feel
"I can remember, standing by the wall. The guns, shot above our heads, and we kissed, as though nothing could fall. And the shame was on the other side. Oh we can beat them forever and ever. Then we could be heroes just for one day."

Butterfly of Doom

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:28 pm

does clarifying powers (putting limits etc) on them count as upgrade?
"The nerve of... Ugh!"- Celeste
"Our enemy is never as evil as we imagine." - Katyusha
"Utterly' is my favorite way to destroy something." - Alecta
"Turn your wounds into wisdom" - Anna
"..." - Eventide

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:42 pm

Nicole----No, clarifying powers would not count against the upgrade limits. Just be sure to tell us what you changed when submitting a clarification so we don't have to take forever looking through everything to find out.

Lillian---Getting powers preapproved and then playing out the upgrade in rp is great. I have no problem with that and would even encourage it.

Angelina Sinclair

Post by Angelina Sinclair » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:27 pm

I didn't even know there was such a thing going on. Constant character upgrades. Granted I've just revamp Redlove a third time mostly due to not using her and the definition of her powers were rather weak and made them almost useless without constant player consent. :?

I like this idea though!

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:39 pm

Your last update was November 20th, so you're within the once-per-month. The change to your powers also wasn't anything that would affect how you'd relate to 99.98% of the other characters, and was really just to open up erotic opportunities.

I actually upgraded my (seldom used) villain for the same reason. ie "Well, without some super-strength and durability, he'd get his jimmy crushed by some super-broad's epic kegels"

Cybermonarch

Post by Cybermonarch » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:51 pm

I'm for this policy personally, as it would make things simpler. However I request that it doesn't apply to the acquiring of items IC, like motorcycles, jet packs and stuff like that, that can reasonably be attained IC.
'

LillianVickson

Post by LillianVickson » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:38 pm

Cybermonarch wrote:I'm for this policy personally, as it would make things simpler. However I request that it doesn't apply to the acquiring of items IC, like motorcycles, jet packs and stuff like that, that can reasonably be attained IC.
'
[Sarcasm] Cool! I will order a 200 megaton death ray now, followed by an upgrade to my jet pack: Mach 5 ought to do it. Then I'll have my suit's strength increased to 500 tons! [/Sarcasm]

Power is power. Even tech needs to be approved or we won't have balance. :geek:
Beep Me

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:01 pm

Lillian is correct. For tech based characters their gear is their power, so an upgrade to gear is an upgrade to powers.

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:38 am

LillianVickson wrote:
Cybermonarch wrote:I'm for this policy personally, as it would make things simpler. However I request that it doesn't apply to the acquiring of items IC, like motorcycles, jet packs and stuff like that, that can reasonably be attained IC.
'
[Sarcasm] Cool! I will order a 200 megaton death ray now, followed by an upgrade to my jet pack: Mach 5 ought to do it. Then I'll have my suit's strength increased to 500 tons! [/Sarcasm]

Standard road vehicles don't really need admin approval. Ones with hidden machine guns and rocket boosters do. Jetpacks give the ability to fly, so yes they would be subject to admin approval.

And Lillian I'd go with a 300 ton death ray it's getting hot out there!

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:00 am

Montyjack wrote:
LillianVickson wrote:
'

Standard road vehicles don't really need admin approval. Ones with hidden machine guns and rocket boosters do. Jetpacks give the ability to fly, so yes they would be subject to admin approval.

And Lillian I'd go with a 300 ton death ray it's getting hot out there!
1 megaton = 1 million tons. So, 200 megatons>300 tons.

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:06 am

Haha :)

Butterfly of Doom

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:57 pm

One thing I did on a recent app was list 'plot related'

Basically the character could have a car with machine guns. or a blaster rifle. But I'm going to ask an admin for permission to use it, and it would be for that scene.

Alicia got a vibroscythe with a particle beam in it instead of a sniper rifle (still not much more powerful just energy based) and as that was in line with the other one.. not a big deal imo. But she doesn't have 'plot related' on her sheet so less variability
"The nerve of... Ugh!"- Celeste
"Our enemy is never as evil as we imagine." - Katyusha
"Utterly' is my favorite way to destroy something." - Alecta
"Turn your wounds into wisdom" - Anna
"..." - Eventide