Serious faction question

Butterfly of Doom

Serious faction question

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:01 pm

So recently someone made the claim that Millenium took over Tsuchigumo. Because they got the building. But Tsuchigumo as a faction was not the admins property. The base was, but the factions and company cannot simply be given to someone else save by the members of that faction. personally, I will be rping that its just a building, as many places can rply represent a different location.

Basically: When a faction goes inactive, does it remain the player property as a faction, ID company- not the base.

Or are all factions immediately admin property?

This is a question for all admins. It needs clarification
"The nerve of... Ugh!"- Celeste
"Our enemy is never as evil as we imagine." - Katyusha
"Utterly' is my favorite way to destroy something." - Alecta
"Turn your wounds into wisdom" - Anna
"..." - Eventide

BluePhalkon
Site Admin

Re: Serious faction question

Post by BluePhalkon » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:40 pm

I don't think it's come up before, so I don't think admins have discussed it. It's a hard question, because inactive factions essentially become NPCs in the world, and everyone knows that NPCs are never anything more than cardboard cutouts for the real players to knock over. /s

Seriously though, I don't think that all corp holdings should transfer based on inactivity, or if they do, it shouldn't happen prior to 30 days of no word from a member of the faction, and there should be guidelines on how much other factions can get. We're going to have to discuss what happens when factions OOCly die.

Mr. Strong
Site Admin

Post by Mr. Strong » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:00 pm

They own the property. I don't see how they can claim to have whatever Tech you were developing there unless they've been told by you what you were developing there.

I think it's a fair solution to just say that Alicia purged all the data prior to her building/company being purchased, if in-fact her company was purchased, and that she paid people to relocate any sensitive hardware she wouldn't want anyone else to have.

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:11 pm

When a faction ends, unless it is rp'd out between the old faction owner and the new, we want some kind of ic reasoning for what happened.

So for example, in the case of Tsuchgumo, the Millennium corporation bought them out. They got the assets which would include the property and equipment. They also offered and probably took all the npc employees. They could not get the data or plans in the works because they don't know what Sakara had planned.

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:52 pm

I quite like the idea of an IC reason for dissolving.
OOC- As for ownership of the faction, once a faction has been dissolved I can't see how anyone can own it in CC admin or otherwise. When factions dissolve it is normally because there is a lack of interest in it. If people want to reactivate a faction, that's allowed providing they fulfil faction rules. As for hanging on to a name, I'm not sure we can administrate that, so if a new faction forms with the same name as one that has become inactive, well that can happen.
"I can remember, standing by the wall. The guns, shot above our heads, and we kissed, as though nothing could fall. And the shame was on the other side. Oh we can beat them forever and ever. Then we could be heroes just for one day."

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:18 pm

The person who formed the faction owns the name. We get the rights to use it by name but if they are not active we can not take control of the name.

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:20 pm

What happens when someone new wants to use the name of an inactive faction to form their own?
"I can remember, standing by the wall. The guns, shot above our heads, and we kissed, as though nothing could fall. And the shame was on the other side. Oh we can beat them forever and ever. Then we could be heroes just for one day."

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:31 pm

The person who formed the faction owns the name. You do not have the right to steal someone else's creations.

Montyjack

Post by Montyjack » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:22 am

I don't think it will be a major problem but I'm not sure how we can monitor it effectively.

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:09 am

It is simple since everything has to be approved.

nightkindangel

Post by nightkindangel » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:43 pm

Montyjack wrote:What happens when someone new wants to use the name of an inactive faction to form their own?
IRL, a business name has to be licensed with their gov, I believe. That name is then good for a number of years and even if that business never even gets off the ground, they still own the rights to that business name until the license expires.

For example, if MacDonalds suddenly went bankrupt and closed all their restaurants and other buildings, it would be a number of years (however many they paid for in advance) before anyone else could take the name for their own business. Furthermore, given the iconic place the company has had in our cultural history, there are likely methods that would prevent anyone from EVER using the name in the future.

Factions and Corps that fade would likely fall under similar rules IC.