Chemicae's Metahuman Protection Proposal

Want to know what your government is up to? Click here to find out...
BluePhalkon
Site Admin

Chemicae's Metahuman Protection Proposal

Post by BluePhalkon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:43 pm

[15:47] Chemicae waves a bit to the one manning the desk as she enters in, "I've an appointment with your Police Chief?", she'd mention, hoping to get on by with due briskness
[15:48] Catherine nods to the woman and she smiles approaching the computer. 'of course, name and identification please ma'am?" A smile is given to the helmeted figure as she logs into the appointment file to check o what the Chief had going today.
[15:50] Chemicae stares a bit blankly, assisted by her faceless helm, "... Chemicae.", she states in a bit of a deadpan, she steps up to the desk, pulling out a card she'd normally be reserving for academia, 'Chemicaes' own recognition as Professor, technically having two, like that
[15:51] Catherine takes the card and then searches for the name in the system, a bright little smile given when she find her. Alright, if you'll follow me I'll take you up to her office." the woman nods her head and then leads her over to the elevator.
[15:53] Catherine led the woman up and to the end of the hall, knocking on the door and calling out through it. " A Chemicae here to see you Commissioner." That being said,s he turns and heads down the hall to the SWAT office.
[15:54] Chemicae as they'd continue along, looking about the place, she nods to Catherine for the help, offering a "Thanks!", as she'd turn around, clasping hands together, this is a meeting she's waited for a while.
[15:54] April Ciro (TarrKestra): "Come in," she calls out from her desk.
[15:55] Chemicae nudges open the door- Head poking through, before she steps in, "Ah, 'April Ciro', it's been a bit of a challenge getting to you."; she sounds fairly satisfied with herself as she walks more into the room
[15:57] April Ciro (TarrKestra) closes the laptop and sets it in the drawer, then rises up, leaning over the desk to offer her hand. "Pleasure to meet you. Please, have a seat," she says, indicating the chair opposite hers as she takes her seat again.
[16:00] Chemicae looks a bit to her- Reaching out with her gauntlet to shake hands, nodding again, she'd be lowering herself to a sit, something somewhat uncharacteristic for her, she raises her hands up to her helmet and clicks it off, so her face is seen, having bit of a grimace, "Suppose we don't need introductions."; she ventures, sounding a bit more friendly when she doesn't have her voice filter, she might be assuming the PD already knows what her helmet would hide.
[16:03] April Ciro (TarrKestra) sits up straight, hands lightly clasped and resting on the desk, unflinching when the helmet disappears. "No, I suppose we don't," she says with a slight smile. "Shall we skip straight to why you requested this meeting then?"
[16:06] Chemicae nodding a bit to April, "- I'm not coming to you for your role in the PD today, but as the one on the city council, we have a bit of a pandemic in this city. One that we desperately need to solve."; she almost looks a bit pleading, leaning a bit forward in her seat again, hands rubbing together to herself, eyes closing for a second as she seems to be figuring out the next couple things she'll be saying, having had some time to plan out this meeting
[16:08] April Ciro (TarrKestra) leans forward slightly, a grave expression on her face. "That raises two questions. Am I the first council member you've approached, and is this a metaphorical pandemic or a literal one?"
[16:10] Chemicae shakes her head slightly, opening her eyes again, scrunching her nose a bit as she sees her expression, "I have already spoken with Timber- And no, a bit more metaphorical. I'm talking one large problem we've had that's been rather obvious since the Horsemen- We don't keep track of our metas very well.", she glances towards the desk for a moment, before keeping gaze with April again, silent as she lets her ask or just to have the words sink in.
[16:14] April Ciro (TarrKestra): "I would use the word crisis rather than pandemic. It's just as alarmist but without the negative connotation of comparing metahumans to a disease," she suggests, somewhat dismissively. "I'm sincerely hoping you're not about to propose a city-wide metahuman registry."
[16:18] Chemicae hums a bit agreeingly at the suggestion, tilting head a bit agreeingly, her brow quirks a bit more as she falls decidedly close on the guess, "No. Something much more opt-in than that, as the safety of being better kept track of is supposed to be incentive enough.", she goes, sounding a bit taken off, hands holding together, "We really have this problem of people being kidnapped, right?", she starts, tone turning a bit more informal as she sounds to be 'getting real'
[16:22] April Ciro (TarrKestra): "Kidnapped, presumed missing, lost to the Horsemen, or the meteors, or the Atlantians. We've done well to keep a master list of everyone who survived Shiva's destruction and those who came to the city afterwards, but keeping that database updated with accurate information on persons missing or dead has proven difficult," she says, not revealing much of anything beyond the obvious.
[16:25] Chemicae nodding a bit, again, "- A database much harder to keep since people aren't exactly volunteering themselves to it.", she starts, "I'm asking for some form of institution or program where people- Predominantly metas- Can sign up to receive some form of..."; she rolls her wrist a bit as she tries to come to a word, "Precautionary measure against abduction?"; she uses the more verbose thing that comes to mind
[16:27] April Ciro (TarrKestra) raises her eyebrow just slightly. "Assuming we could keep a system accessible to all completely secure from people who would use such information for evil purposes, what sort of measures did you have in mind?"
[16:30] Chemicae looks a bit to April, having an uncertain grimace on her as she seems to have a bad feeling of the question, "GPS tracker, for example.", she ventures, a bit carefully, "Or a daily to weekly checkup at this institution to confirm they aren't missing, which could also be a general place for metas to congregate.", she sounds a little more fanciful on the last tidbit, but just a bit, seeming a bit discomforted by Aprils look
[16:37] April Ciro (TarrKestra): "No matter how explicitly we state that this is entirely voluntary, the first thing objectors will latch onto is the idea that we're tracking metahumans. It would have to be something that only activates on command, like a panic button, but then people who are anti-meta would complain that it's government favoritism. A central location for them to check in would either be characterized as the first step to rounding them all up or a massive target for anti-metahuman attacks. In short, while I don't think it's a bad idea for citizens, human and meta, to feel safe, I think that a project like the one you've described would have a much better chance at a positive public reception if it came from the private sector rather than as a government sponsored program," she explains, sounding sympathetic even as she shots holes in the idea.
[16:40] Chemicae's expression remains a litle optimistic for a moment, before wavering more and more as April goes on, a rather dejected look on her face as she sometimes tries raising a finger to comment, but just finds more holes forthcoming, sighing a bit as she'd eventually finish, "... But isn't this a concern of the people, that the people should be able to have a hand in, rather than whomever happens to have the most money?", she lets some of her remaining idealism shine through, though she does get a little thoughtful as she considers what companies she'd ask for help- Shaking her head to herself as she dismisses it, brow furrowing as she tries for a more resolved look
[16:50] April Ciro (TarrKestra): "Shiva wanted to kill all metahumans, and it lead to her utter destruction. Now, I'm not suggesting that's what you're suggesting, but I can imagine several rational, legitimate concerns with either a tracking system or a check in system, even a strictly voluntary one. Taggat has already passed laws restricting vigilantism, which I know has ruffled some metahuman feathers, and human ones as well. I would be shocked if no one mentioned 'internment camps' as an immediate reaction to the announcement of your proposal," she explains. "We have laws against kidnapping, a department for missing persons, and capable officers to find them. You would need to argue why the government needs to go beyond those measures, and why they should focus on metahumans, to even begin proposing your program. But a private entity has a lot less baggage and a lot more freedom to operate something like it."
[16:55] Chemicae looks a bit to April as she'd listen, grimacing a bit at the first implication, looking a bit uncomfortable at the mention of those couple laws, nodding slightly- Her expression suddenly drops as she'd go on to mention the officers, looking repulsed and struck with a sudden hit of indignation, she seems to manage calm down as she listens though, just looking somewhat distasted, "'Capable' officers."; she'd snark a bit, but manages to restrain herself beyond that, "Isn't it somewhat self evident though? We metas are just inherently more dangerous, and should be looked after- And cared for a bit better, thusly.", she seems to be managing back into her diplomatic tone again, "And- This is such a huge issue, we should only leave this to the ones we can trust most, and that should be the government, right?- Aforementioned fears is a lot... More plausible to happen under a privatized insurance, and it'd be a lot harder to keep accountable, too, if they start being negligent and betray the trust of their... Clients?", she sounds distasted at the thought of this needing payment from people to join.
[17:05] April Ciro (TarrKestra): "Inherently more dangerous, yes, which is why detractors will label this as the first step towards not an added measure of safety, but an added measure of control," she counters, letting the dig at the CCPD slide. "What you're proposing is most closely analogous to things like home security systems, or Life Alert. Completely voluntary, private sector solutions for those who felt that state-sponsored protection didn't provide enough of it. If people don't like the way a private corporation handles things, they stop paying them and pay another company instead. That option doesn't exist when it's being offered by the government. And speaking of payment, we haven't even discussed the reaction from those who hate, despise, or fear metahumans when they hear that their tax dollars are going towards a program designed primarily to keep metahumans safe."
[17:10] Chemicae grimaces a bit as April goes on, tilting head here and there as she seems to be begrudgingly agreeing to what she's saying in defense of privatizing it, scratching a bit beside her nose, expression actually seeming to brighten up at the last mention from her, "- Well wouldn't they also have something to be happy about this program? As probably vigilantes would probably also join in on this- Could be a good step towards keeping errant heroes more accountable."; she mentions a bit in a by the by tone, considering herself at a loss for the most part on her argument for the government doing it
[17:11] Chemicae rolling her wrist, "It's more safety for being somewhat more obliged to play nice, as it were.", she lets out some of the thoughts in her head
[17:15] April Ciro (TarrKestra) shakes her head. "The second the City Council suggested it was being used to curb costumed heroes, we've moved from protection to coercion. No matter what arguments can be made for the state sponsorship of your proposal, there would be very vocal opposition from both sides of the issue against it, which would compromise its effectiveness at best and give rise to increased attacks on metahumans or increased vigilantism at worst," she states firmly. "I'm curious about how Timber reacted to your proposal."
[17:18] Chemicae hums a bit, looking up somewhat to April, "I happened to've known him before his rise to the position, so ended up getting to spill to him rather easily, actually.", she has a conversational tone, "You should ask him yourself, but he seemed to be quite adoring it at the time.", she scratches at her nose again, "I think I will also bring this up to the Mayor, now. I've been going intentionally in this order.", she ends up sharing
[17:22] April Ciro (TarrKestra) nods. "Then I expect it will be a point of order at the next council meeting. I will repeat what I've said. I appreciate the sentiment and the goals behind it, but I don't agree that the methods you've suggested are the best way to achieve them, and I won't vote for it," she says, laying those cards on the table. "That said, if it is enacted, I will do everything in my power to try and make it as successful as possible."
[17:25] Chemicae nodding a bit to April, "Appreciate it, you've changed my mind a little on some things, to be sincere, I doubt that the Mayor will be very interested either, but perhaps she'll have alternatives in mind."; she sounds a bit thoughtful, looking a bit to the roof, "Hm, thank you for your time. I hope I don't end up missing again before I get my chance to say 'hello' to the Mayor."; she half-jokes, starting to right herself up in her seat, "I suppose I should be leaving then with my ideas offered?", she wonders, waving a finger towards the door
[17:28] April Ciro (TarrKestra): "You're welcome, and good luck," she says sincerely, then nods. "Unless there was something else you wished to discuss?"
[17:32] Chemicae smiling and nodding to April, she was about to stand up- But she looks up a bit, somewhat thoughtful at the offer, recalling something odd, "- Actually, yes, do I have a file here?"; she wonders, out of curiosity, since she's here and all, "There have been some times I've been accused of things I don't recall as true.", she mentions, "Also, wonder if anyone logged my going missing the one or two times.", humming a bit thoughtfully again at that
[17:36] April Ciro (TarrKestra): "Every single citizen of Celestial City has a 'file' here," she answers without really answering. "As for the contents of those files, you'd have to lodge a request with City Hall to see yours, as well as any missing persons reports attached to it."
[17:37] Chemicae shrugs a bit to April, "Was worth a try."; she ventures, not seeming to much at a loss for it, starting up to her feet finally, picking up her helmet to put it back on, "Have a good evening.", she offers in a more stoic voice, with the voice filter in her helmet assisting
[17:39] April Ciro (TarrKestra) rises up and offers her hand again. "You as well. And again, good luck with the Mayor. Take care!"
[17:39] Chemicae nodding again, she has another shake, waving a bit to April, before she'd head out the door