proposal to city hall **City hall response only**

Want to know what your government is up to? Click here to find out...
Timberwulff
Sim Admin

proposal to city hall **City hall response only**

Post by Timberwulff » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:08 am

TImber sits at the meeting and looks around."Delphine, members of the council previously there was mention of using some prisoners as part of a task force, make them work their sentence off helping the city. I have a proposal to not only start it but amend it as well. What if we opened it up to volunteers as well. I hear a lot of anti vigilantism and I can agree to a point we don't need some crash happy meta wrecking the place over a simple bank robbery or purse snatch, but we're not always looking at something that simple. We have metas out there who are looking to cause more harm than good and the non metas in the police force are risking life and limb just being around one of theses metas." He pauses and replays the video of Think Tank approaching the media building and just killing people in his path.

"Theses are non powered humans and he took their life like it was nothing. And there are plenty out there that are just as bad, if not worse and if we want to be able to help stop these beings, a collaborative effort between metas and the police force would be good. Start a team of metas that operate with the permission of the city and in team with the police department for this kind of thing. Police hoverbots or whatever tech we have going will only get us so far. It might help detract a few vigilantes and put a stronger presence to deter the bad guys."

J.Trimble
Sim Admin

Re: proposal to city hall **City hall response only**

Post by J.Trimble » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:34 pm

"With permission?" Said Delphine. "The reason permission is denied is because there is no accountability. We give free license, we end up with chaos. I don't know what world you come from where the police just take a back seat in law enforcement. There are no laws preventing people from defending themselves. There are no rules preventing citizens evacuating people from dangerous areas, tackling dangers is best left to those who have the training to do so."

She paused. "I saw no efforts to prevent further damage, just a blood lust to attack and fight and prove ones worth to the spectators involved. This muscle headed ego driven buffoonery, is what leads not only to massive property damage, but lack of prosecutions. They treat it as fun, Timber. A challenge, they gleefully destroy objects and shrug off the cost , it matters little so long as they can indulge their juvenile fantasies. Real heroes have a duty. and I will not Until I see a draft of a bill that aims to address the issues of competence, duty and accountability .... competence IS an issue... I assure you. Then I will vote against it. They want to show off, they do so at their own cost. Not the cities. They want to serve and protect, the police is hiring. " She glanced to April.

Timberwulff
Sim Admin

Post by Timberwulff » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:23 pm

That's just it, I'm not saying we let a group go rogue. I'm saying we get a group who is accountable and works with the police department. They take orders from someone on the police department and help. Believe me I am not saying we give them free reign here. They are monitored, and held accountable for their actions. Not a bit of this is free license, it's designed to keep a quote unquote leash on some metas and put the foot down as this is how it's supposed to be. I'm asking for a properly trained and controlled task force, emphasis on trained and controlled. They don't go rogue and they do what they are told by the police, no backseat to them. They learn to do things by the book, and face repercussions if they don't.

J.Trimble
Sim Admin

Post by J.Trimble » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:40 pm

"I don't know if I can trust it. The scheme would have to be some police force incentive, making them directly accountable to police, as a city initiative it could not be passed as the constitution prevents the creation of independent bodies for those purposes. Community Wardens perhaps. April"

BluePhalkon
Site Admin

Post by BluePhalkon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:38 pm

April glances at Delphine, then gives Timber a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry, Timber, but I'm with the Mayor on this one. We tried it with the Guardians, and it didn't really work out. Not that it went terribly, but having an external team was not the same as sending the MHTF as a response unit. If you want trained and accountable, then both legally and practically, the only way to do it is for them to join the CCPD as official law enforcement officers."

"As for conscripting prisoners in the manner you suggested, I think it would do more potential harm than good. It's one thing to auction them into indentured servitude or make them pay a fine, but the absolute last thing we want is a squad of people with proven criminal histories trying to do police work. The results would be unpredictable, unreliable, and potentially disastrous. I'd be dedicating officers to the task of babysitting rather than policing, and no officer wants to walk into a situation where they can't trust their squadmates. just don't see it working out well. That said, offering a position on the CCPD as another valid means of community service is a possibility that I'm willing to explore on a case by case basis."

J.Trimble
Sim Admin

Post by J.Trimble » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:42 pm

Delphine nodded. "There's always bounty hunting in the case of wanted criminals, there are certain protections for that, in the last instance had those involved simply applied for a bounty hunter license, things would have gone smoothly. The Chain Gangs are not intended for use in ... routine... situations, usually not within city bounds either, which brings up the issue with wastelands. Celestial boarders only go so far and outside of city jurisdiction, we can't tell anyone what to do, but then damages outside the city are not our primary concern. I'm sure the CCPD can come up with some incentives, but it's not a council issue in this instance, but a police one, they are the authority on this matter...."

She paused.

"Law or not, these people will fall afoul of the law, now... we are planning a university which will help people not fall afoul of the law. We are not prohibiting self defense, nor defense of property. What is prohibited, is excessive force and property damage. We don't want people to trip over their feet, just to be aware that they will find themselves afoul of the law. There is absolutely no reason for criminals to walk free, yet they do. Due process.. and yes think tank did kill people, however he was pretty much out of the fight by the time some one decided to execute him. Imagine if you will if the CCPD went around finishing off people who were ready to be bound for capture? His countless victims now get no justice, no reparations, no help with their counseling costs or otherwise, because there is no one to foot the bill, no one that is guilty of the crimes committed against them anyway.... Time and time again this happens because of botched arrest procedure, citizens arrest is possible, it is entirely possible if procedure is followed. Citizens arrest is for a crime in process... again it is plausible... Warrents on wanted people can be picked up by bounty hunters.... If people go the bounty hunter route they can not only bring in warrents, they can also stop crimes that happen in front of them.... where it gets messy is where people who have no understanding of what's going on..... I.E there's a big fight, and they pick a side.... they are technically in violation of several laws, if they do not observe the crime in process, they shouldn't get involved. That's the key issue. Nobody is stopping anybody preventing crime, what we are preventing is mobs joining frays they do not understand, they damage the chances of a key prosecution, when the lawyer points out their client was attacked by several people who didn't even witness the crime.... probable cause is only applicable to police"

Timberwulff
Sim Admin

Post by Timberwulff » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:32 am

Timber nods listening to this. I have one more proposal to make. seeing eye animals and the like is there a way we can make them protected. We seem to have blind citiizens and it would appear there was a concern of one such service animal recently, with threats being made. This is bad for those who need the service animals if something were to happen.