The New Administration

Want to know what your government is up to? Click here to find out...
Chyleste
Site Admin

The New Administration

Post by Chyleste » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:36 am

Anthony Gato walks into the office building serving as the temporary city hall public building. The young executive greets the staff and introduces himself, chatting a bit to try and get to know everyone. He makes his way up to the upper floors and finds the meeting room. The dark haired man lays a briefcase on the table and opens it. He spreads out the papers that he has been studying and gets everything organized. He takes his time to make sure he has everything ready since he showed up early for the meeting with the new co-mayor.

DeuxBlackthorn

Re: The New Administration

Post by DeuxBlackthorn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:11 pm

Lady Nightmare steps into the building just a couple minutes before the agreed-on time, giving small nods of acknowledgment to the staff, already knowing most of them from her time on the council. She makes her way into the office and takes a seat, not carrying anything with her besides her tablet, which she sets on the table as she smiles "Hello again Anthony, hope you've been well since our last chat"

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:19 pm

Anthony Gato smiles and nods. He extends his hand to offer a shake. "Hello. I am not going to lie, I have been a bit stressed over all this. But hopefully together we can get this city turned around again."

He takes a seat and shuffles around some papers. "I have spent the last week going over as much of the old government files as I can. We have a lot to address. The Belmont attacks, of course but there's a lot of other major problems that need attention. Timber's huge release of criminals and cutting the sponsorship auctions has caused crime rates to skyrocket and the city's revenue to plummet."

DeuxBlackthorn

Post by DeuxBlackthorn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:22 pm

Lady Nightmare returns the smile and shake, then nods slightly as she settles back in "Yeah, I've been through the whole pile already, and it's a bit of a mess at the moment. I've been making a few small steps, like making some moves to bolster the Protectorate a bit, but had been waiting on the formal announcement and us touching base to start anything major. We need to keep working on that, figure out some ways to encourage more wardens to sign up. As far as revenue, I discussed one plan for that during our last meeting that could be a big help on both fronts, the metahuman fighting league. People get out their aggression, have more entertainment to enjoy, and the city can profit off ticket sales"

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:05 am

He nods as he listens. Anthony lightly taps his fingers on the table. "Yes, we do need to strengthen the Protectorate a lot. We can start a recruitment drive. FireFly can donate some ad time to publicize that. But to legally accept the donation, we will have to grant a tax break to compensate."

He sighs softly. "The fight league might help but there are a lot of questions about how. First of all, we will need to build an arena. That will be a major expense. How do we cover the start up cost? Then how does the city make a profit from the fights? Do we charge admission? Do the fighters have to pay an entrance fee? What is the cost of the prize? What about the high insurance premiums? We will be responsible for the safety and coverage of the audience."

He shifts some papers around. "We also have the cost of a new city hall. We will need a public building and it must be secure against all the metahumans in the city. " He takes a breath. "We have to make sure to cover all the costs legally."

DeuxBlackthorn

Post by DeuxBlackthorn » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:35 am

Lady Nightmare hums softly "A bit of advertisement couldn't hurt, but we might have to talk with Hell about some sort of re-branding... there are a lot of metas that have negative opinions on the organization right now. I also think the university would be a good chance to help bring up and coming wardens around to joining up.

As for the colliseum... I haven't had a chance to look into the details after her death, but I was Scarlett's business partner. If she hadn't named anyone to take over for her then it would likely be best for me to assume control over her business assets, including the construction company. In that case, I could easily arrange for their work on the building to be done at bare minimum rates, perhaps even on a payment plan that would avoid any up-front cost to the city at all, and allow the building to pay for itself. Profit would be from ticket sales primarily, though we could look into entry fees and other monetization options as well. You'd also be able to televise some of the fights in exchange for a fee paid to the city, which would easily be offset by ad sales. With proper building design and combat rules, the insurance costs shouldn't be too bad either.

City Hall is a tougher one... I'd almost be tempted to put that on the back burner for the time being, but it is a symbol to the people. Again, I could try to offer minimum rates on the work, but there's no real income out of the building, so that's gonna be a chunk out of the budget until we get things straightened out on that front."

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:51 am

Anthony leans back and nods. "I didn't know you were associated with Scarlett's construction company. You're planning on taking over the business? That's stretching yourself really thin, isn't it? I am already looking into naming a new CEO of FireFly so I can devote myself to the city."

DeuxBlackthorn

Post by DeuxBlackthorn » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:12 am

Lady Nightmare chuckles "Loosely, but yes... when she returned I'm the one that provided the financing for her to get her affairs back in order and expanded, in exchange for a partnership. As for my time, I run my businesses in a pretty laid back manner most of the time that keeps them from being too demanding on me. The only reason I spend as much time as I do at the club is because I enjoy being around there when I'm not busy with important matters."

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:16 am

The young executive nods. "Running the construction company would be a full time responsibility but if you have a stake in it, that might give the city the right to absorb the company instead of keeping it private. That way we could just pay for things from the budget instead of outside contracts. That could cut costs by 20% "

He looks through more papers. "Things are going to be rough to try and balance the budget. Timber's release and pardons cost 40% of projected revenue." He swivels the chair a bit. "I really don't want to increase taxes. But what about increasing the application and renewal fees on the warden license? We can use that to help pay the salary of the new Protectorate officers. With more officers out enforcing the laws, that will bring in more as well."

DeuxBlackthorn

Post by DeuxBlackthorn » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:54 am

Lady Nightmare shakes her head "The government seizing an entire industrial sector like that would be disastrous for the long-term economy, especially while we're still in a developmental phase. We'll have to look at some other options for that, it was downright idiotic when Taggat took over the banks as well, and we should probably look for somebody willing and able to buy them back into private hands.

Some increases to the fees could be managed, though I think that would do more as a disincentive to vigilantism than as a boost to city finances, most wardens outside PAE barely make ends meet as it is. I think increased taxes on larger businesses and those of us with large incomes are pretty much an inevitability at the moment. Perhaps also a pollution 'tax' on the businesses in the city that are generating large amounts of contaminants and toxic byproducts and not taking proper steps to contain them. I know there are several offenders in the industrial district, and some increased pressure there could boost revenue in the short term as well as improving the environment of the city down the road"

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:12 am

He leans back again. "Yeah, I get what you are saying about that. I am not sure about putting the bank in private hands. That can lead to more debt for the city. I don't want another private institution able to have power over the government like the utilities can. I am worried about too much private influence on the city."

He nods again knowingly. "A decrease in vigilantism would be great. The wild cards out there are the ones who cause the most damage anyway. It would be good to get them under control. If they can't afford it, then they should join the Protectorate and be legitimate. "

DeuxBlackthorn

Post by DeuxBlackthorn » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:30 am

Lady Nightmare chuckles softly "Well, the bank situation we can take some time with... selling it would be a burst of money, but it's a steady income for the city for now. I do agree that more of our meta problems come from unaffiliated wardens, though some of them are very responsible as well, just more of a mixed bag and harder to hold accountable. Speaking of accountability, once the immediate financial issues are under control, I was thinking a sort of 'police academy' program through the university would be a good investment... give Protectorate officers a more stable measure of what they should be doing, rather than leaving so much to discretion"

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:41 am

He smiles as he listens. "I do like the idea of using the university to train and recruit for the Protectorate. The major problem with these metahumans, licensed or not, is that they do not believe they should be responsible for their actions. I blame a lot of that mindset on the former government for not enforcing the laws and letting metas get away with anything, even pardoning serious crimes. The only way to get a handle on the destructive behaviors of these metas is to actually enforce things. No one should be above the law. I don't care if you are friends with everyone in the city. If you break the law you pay the price."

DeuxBlackthorn

Post by DeuxBlackthorn » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:25 am

Lady Nightmare laughs softly "You should know that there was much more to it than simply being friends with the right people... there was a series of extraordinary events, and in such cases exceptions can be justified. However, that should be the exception, not a constant thing, and certainly not just based on friendships or money. On the whole I do agree that all should be responsible for their actions, whether they're a criminal, villain, warden, or even a Protectorate agent that gets too far out of line in their actions."

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:59 am

Anthony sits forward. "I am not going to lie. I do not agree with any pardons without serving a sentence. I have actually considered bringing charges and lawsuits against Timber for releasing so many criminals at the end of his term. That and bowing down to Captain Strong who refuses to follow any law and bullies his way into things. But first we have to clean up this mess. This is going to take a lot of work and we will have to really crack down to get things under control. I am tired of watching my city and the good citizens suffering all the time."

DeuxBlackthorn

Post by DeuxBlackthorn » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:10 am

Lady Nightmare leans back slightly "Well, the only people he actually released from prison were ones that had already served their sentences while awaiting auction. I do agree where it comes to Strong though, and told Timber as much in my role on the council at the time. I'd like to make a slight revamp to the way the council is selected, both to ensure that it represents the interests of the city and to ensure that something like that doesn't happen again"

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:17 am

Anthony nods. "Yeah I agree the council needs to be restructured completely. There are a few other things in the constitution and other bylaws that I have been looking over. The entire government files are a mess. A lot of things were lost in the several times city hall was destroyed."

DeuxBlackthorn

Post by DeuxBlackthorn » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:40 pm

Lady Nightmare sighs "You'd think there would have been off-site electronic backups... another thing to set up once we get it all sorted out. There's no reason to be relying on piles of papers to keep track of such important matters. I already converted everything Timber handed over to electronic format for my own use"

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:04 pm

He nods. "Oh, yes. There were electronic back ups but everything was corrupted by the SingularityAI. So much was lost and we don't dare open the files that are out there." He pauses a moment. "It might be a good reason to redraft anything we need to change without a big ordeal."

DeuxBlackthorn

Post by DeuxBlackthorn » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:34 pm

Lady Nightmare arches a brow slightly "And what exactly are you proposing to alter?"

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:13 pm

The dark haired man leans back. "I am not fully sure yet. I think we need to meet with what's left of the council. We should discuss what the city really needs. We need to make sure that the power is in the hands of the citizens, not in the power hungry metahumans. "

DeuxBlackthorn

Post by DeuxBlackthorn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:34 am

Lady Nightmare nods "Yes, that was part of my proposal for the council as well... to ensure that the common people have a fitting voice in the city's development. Each group should be represented so that every side can be heard and weighed, and laws made for the benefit of all rather than just one type of person."

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:07 pm

Anthony nods. "Yes. The city is here for people who want to be a member of society, not for those who want to put themselves above the people. Why don't we call a meeting of the council and work from there."

DeuxBlackthorn

Post by DeuxBlackthorn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Lady Nightmare nods "Yeah, think it's time to pull them all in and get the ball rolling with all of this"