Summer Sessions (Council only)

Want to know what your government is up to? Click here to find out...
DeuxBlackthorn

Summer Sessions (Council only)

Post by DeuxBlackthorn » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:55 pm

Lady N glances around the room as everyone re-gathers "So, now that you've all had a chance to look over the proposed legal code, we can get down to questions. Mikoto came to me during the break with two already for us to address, both relating to older parts of the code. The first part is a civil matter. There are concerns about the extremely short time that patents are protected for currently, so I'm putting forth an alteration to bring them from a 5 year period to a 10 year one, including retroactively extending all current ones. The second matter is section 7 of criminal code, dealing with restrictions to weapons. While use of weapons is not universally protected by the bill of rights, possession of them is, and this section includes a part which prohibits the ownership of explosives. It avoided being an issue in the past because it's a narrow restriction of a weapon type with no real practical uses outside illegal activities, but technically it is a questionable matter, so I'd like to hear the rest of the council's opinions on it"

Butterfly of Doom

Re: Summer Sessions (Council only)

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:33 pm

Celeste looks up " Explosives and other weapons should have exceptions, allowing for their use. Explosives for mining..or as my neighbor likes to tell me.. fishing. The heavier weapons in the rural areas to fend off the mutated creatures. But these would be exceptions to the rule, and not applicable to some ruffian walking down main street. Still it should be protected. Extending the patents would be of personal benefit to me, so while I support it- I must note that it is a factor in that decision."
"The nerve of... Ugh!"- Celeste
"Our enemy is never as evil as we imagine." - Katyusha
"Utterly' is my favorite way to destroy something." - Alecta
"Turn your wounds into wisdom" - Anna
"..." - Eventide

Timberwulff
Sim Admin

Post by Timberwulff » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:55 pm

Timber shakes his head."IN my old world we had a company that did that constantly asked to extend patents and copyrights. "He pauses."I know this isn't that world, and while i think the extension is good I just dont want to see something like that happening, So i request we not go crazy down the line with extensions lest we turn into a monster like Walter Roy Sidney." He pauses again."As for explosives, I thought I heard something explode yesterday by the Protectorate building."

He looks over the information presented.

"Can we have something for the wardens I know one big issue was those joining up were concerned about their civilian identities
being exposed and or disclosed, also Civilians who are not wardens should be able to use their powers for non combat. Not to sound confrontational but If I was none of those things I still enjoy flying around the city.. it is rather freeing. As for executor... Just glad it's not Constable."

He leans back and takes a drink of his energy drink.

"Also can we do something about..."Sponsorship" As he adds air quotes to that word."It just doesn't seem right."

Butterfly of Doom

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:36 am

Celeste nodded " To add to Timbers point- Theres also the matter of revealing weaknesses. I have brought more than a few in that would not license themselves due to revealing such information. And brought this issue up with you Ms Mayor. I know people who like the sponsorship system but frankly, only a few of those people do it morally. I sponsor the wife of one of my workers. We already had an arrangement of maid work, but she simply cannot afford life insurance and my company plans only cover the worker in that field. She has medical through it. But too many are treating it as ..whats the word. Outright slavery. But yes, I am suggesting extending patents to 10 years, 5 years is simply too short. I would make enough off of being the patent holder for a canning machine in 10 years that if it was copied after that, I would not be bothered. And I have been called a.. ahem 'penny pinching cunt'. Pardon the language. Some just can't handle me. "
"..." - Eventide

DeuxBlackthorn

Post by DeuxBlackthorn » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:55 am

Lady N nods slightly and leans forward "Exceptions are already allowed for mining, construction, demolition, and any other reasonable civil use, through issuing licenses for them, and as for the patents, this would be the only change, not an ever-extending timeframe. The sponsorship program is constitutionally protected... and it does have its benefits for many... but if there is significant concern that it's being used to take advantage of people then I could implement a requirement that the clerks filing the paperwork for them verify that all parties understand what it entails and freely consent. As for the Warden matters, it's already legal to use any powers that don't affect another person or property without being licensed... and there's an amendment to the Warden EO in there removing the need to disclose weaknesses from the process... however, I do feel that having civilian identities on file is highly valuable in numerous situations, and the government servers that information is stored on are secure enough that only something on par with Singularity would have a shot at getting in there. The Executor thing was Taggat's idea, which I've rescinded... she had an obsession with creating positions that were completely above the law... Marshals would be the closest thing in the new system, but they still have accountability."

Timberwulff
Sim Admin

Post by Timberwulff » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:30 pm

Listens intently yo the responses."Then with those points covered, I'm good with it."

Butterfly of Doom

Post by Butterfly of Doom » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:40 pm

" I concur, assuming there are no other objections?"
"..." - Eventide

Leona
Sim Admin

Post by Leona » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:14 pm

The Vanguard Leader still in her armor finally speaks

"I have no objections to the new legal code. After this is voted on I would like to propose something else as long as we have the council together."

Railgun

Post by Railgun » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:57 am

Mikoto would speak up after listening to the others speak. " I believe I have a solution to the problem of explosives and vehicles" she says eyeing the document. As you are well aware, there is a certain someone who has a ... strong connection to her armed vehicles. Personally, I understand wanting to restrict them. While the point can be made that a tank really isn't all THAT dangerous when you have people who can lift them up and toss them " she smiles to Timber " There is the issue of public perception. If this council would take a vote as to the meaning of the bill of rights prohibition of restricting weapons, I would agree if the council decided that that is a reference to personal weapons and not tactical-class explosives or vehicle mounted weapons. Granted there are some metahumans who could carry a howitzer and use it as a rifle, anyone strong enough to do that would find such a weapon a considerable downgrade in effectiveness. In short, If you can't carry it and operate on your own, then it doesn't fall under the protections of the bill of rights.

She then takes a sigh "The issue of registering your weaknesses is a tough one. I agree that Wardens should disclose the extent of their abilities as accurately as possible, and be able to obtain insurance or otherwise be able to pay for collateral damage they cause. I do not feel that they should disclose their weaknesses. In addition I feel as if metahumans should be free to use their powers for their own benefit and the benefit of others within the law without registering, as long as this does not involve acting as law enforcement. My final concern, however, is those who would use their powers to commit crimes. I fully believe that if person uses their abilities to commit a crime, then law enforcement has the right to keep a file on them that includes everything they learn about said individual, including powers and weaknesses.

" And on the patent issue. " She sighs and brings out a folder and pulls out several copies of a document. The document as a logo claiming to be property of Leviathan Arms International and is marked out in places, mostly where it dictated how to construct the item, but from the part of the document that isn't marked out, it's easy to see what it is : A weapon intended to create and collapse small black holes "So. Not sure how many of you know this, but PAE bought as many of LAI's patents as possible. This is just one of many things that Ghostwalker had his people design that would have a horrific effect on the the city if out in the open. I for one have the deepest respect for Jon, But I think everyone here can agree that he didn't always think of the consequences of what he created. To that effect I propose a second tier of patent. This second tier of patent would never expire and would be granted in cases where the item or technique being patented has the potential to cause a severe risk to the city as a whole. Applications for this level of patent would be reviewed by at least two council members, and if they agree that the potential risk warrants the designs for the item not be made part of the public domain, then it is granted "

DeuxBlackthorn

Post by DeuxBlackthorn » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:03 pm

/me nods along with Mikoto's first proposal "Yes, I do feel that would be a fair interpretation, and would fit together nicely with the tier system I put in place, since tier 1 equipment would be operated by the person deploying it, so I can put my vote behind that. Your concerns with Wardens have already been addressed with my amendment to that EO, and in the case of criminals, while they aren't registered on an official database, I know that Protectorate and Vanguard both keep files on known troublemakers, and I'd imagine PAE does as well. If anything, I'd suggest simply making an arrangement that those kinds of files be shared openly in regards to any individual causing significant problems for the people. On the patent issue, I understand your concern on that matter, though there is already a protocol in place to keep patents out of public domain. The government administers all patents anyways, and keeps copies in secure databases. It would be a simple enough matter for the government to take domain over any patent which could cause significant threat to the city, leaving it in the hands of the creator, but preventing it from ever entering public domain like most do after expiring. I'd second the idea that it should require council approval, to ensure that properties don't get secured out of greed or underhanded arrangements. There is one other matter that, since nobody mentioned it, I should make clear. You may have noticed that restitution has not been removed from the list of punishments... I'm reverting Timber's abolishment of the auctions... however, restitution penalties are going to be more regimented and have much more oversight now. The first preference for them will be direct recompense of any damages if possible... returning something stolen or replacing destroyed items exactly. When that isn't possible, it will proceed to providing direct service to the wronged party, if such an arrangement will not further endanger the original victim. Only if neither of those are options will a criminal go to auction as they did in the past. Additionally, a potential buyer will now be required to disclose the activities they will use the contract for in advance, and the criminal will have the option to refuse them, so they can't be forced into sex slavery or any other such activities without consent. If it's refused then they'll remain in jail until another offer is made that they accept. If a buyer tries to violate the agreed terms, they lose the contract and the money paid, and won't be allowed to buy further ones in the future. I believe this should alleviate the vast majority of concerns with the old system, while restoring a fair portion of that income to the city, as the removal of the auctions entirely has left the government on shaky ground financially.

Railgun

Post by Railgun » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:23 am

Bump
( come on guys. we need to get these laws hammered out )

Timberwulff
Sim Admin

Post by Timberwulff » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:43 pm

Timber looks around."Like I said these issues have been discussed I am good with this.